Want to help kick Colorado Republican Cory Gardner out of the Senate?
Cory Gardner was a vocal critic of Donald Trump after the Access Hollywood video came out back in 2016, but now he is a full-throated supporter of the president. In fact, he’s already endorsed his 2020 campaign. Colorado newspapers have reported that Gardner and Trump talk often on the phone. Recently, when Gardner has been pressed by reporters about the Ukraine scandal that has sparked off impeachment, he sidesteps the question of whether or not he thinks Trump did anything wrong.
Gardner’s Senate seat is considered to be one of the most vulnerable for the Republicans. His approval rating in the state is in the low 30s. As competitive as the race appears to be, we should not make the mistake of assuming the seat will flip. Gardner is an astute politician and flipping an incumbent is not easy. It’ll take a lot of us working together to make sure a Democrat flips this Senate seat.
Who is running against Cory Gardner?
Currently, there are a number of Democratic opponents running in the primary, (you can see the full list HERE), but the biggest name is John Hickenlooper, the former governor of Colorado and of course, formerly a 2020 Democratic candidate for president. The primary in Colorado is March 3, 2020, otherwise known as Super Tuesday.
How you can help the Democrats flip this Senate seat
1. Donate to flip Gardner’s seat. Swing Left has started a Colorado Senate fund that will all go to the winner of the Democratic primary. Of course, if there is a specific primary candidate you want to donate to, by all means do that. For those folks outside the state, Swing Left’s fund is a great way to support the eventual nominee without needing to know the details of Colorado politics. Plus, this money will be crucial for the nominee to have especially against Gardner’s war chest.
2. Help with voter registration drives in the state. As one idea, share Rock the Vote’s voter registration page for Colorado (HERE) on your social media pages. Another is to sign up with Vote Forward to send letters to unregistered voters in Colorado to urge them to register–more info on how to get involved with this effort HERE.
3. Support the Colorado Democratic party. Donate to them, ask them how you can help with voter registration drives, or boosting the number of volunteers they have to help with campaigns.
4. Support Colorado’s League of Women Voters. They organize voter registration drives and have events to inform and connect voters with the candidates.
5. Get young Colorado voters to the polls. New Era Colorado is a well established group that has racked up some seriously impressive accomplishments as it aims to both register young people and then get them to go to the polls. Read more about them HERE and then support them however you can.
If you have other ideas of how we can kick out Cory Gardner and replace him with a Democrat in the Senate in 2020, particularly ideas for folks outside the state who want to help, please let us know in the comments. Thanks!